html> Lostvestige: High Above the Beach

High Above the Beach


Now that I have successfully gone on three plane trips this past year, it was finally time, to ride in a tiny airplane, as my husband has been trying to talk me into doing for the past seven years. That time came during our trip to the Outer Banks over the summer. We spent the weekend watching little airplanes fly over the coast, and on the last day there, I finally gave in and agreed to go for a ride..



We drove to the airport hanger at the edge of one of the islands, and there was the little tiny plane, waiting for us. 


I couldn't believe how small it really was!  Smaller than a car!  The pilot suggested I sit in the front since I had the camera, but I choose to sit in the back, where I could internally freak out in peace. 



The plane slowly started moving down the runway. The pilot kept the windows open until the very last minute..


The plane gently lifted off the ground, I barely even realized we were in the air. Definitely way less intense than a big plane. 


The ride started off pretty gentle, but as we got closer and closer to the ocean, the ride became bumpier. and bumpier. I remembered how windy it had been that day and I really started to freak out as I began to regret agreeing to the 30 minute ride. My least favorite feeling in the whole world is that drop feeling in your stomach. I try to avoid anything causing that feeling at all costs.

 I was internally screaming but managed to hold it together on the outside. I hid behind my camera and tried to forget where I was as I focused on photographing some of our favorite places, and past beach houses I've stayed in.


We ventured over the little islands towards the narrow strip of land that makes up the Outer Banks.



We flew over the monument where the Wright Brothers took the very first flight.



It was interesting to see the lengthy bridges from above.


I love seeing things from faraway, to it was quite incredible to see this place that I have been coming to for years and years from this vantage point. 




The changing water currents!



Looking through these photos feels like I'm looking at a miniature village. I recognize so many of the buildings, and memories are brought back of traveling down these beachy roads. The picture above shows an ice cream surf shop that is a favorite stop of ours. It's the place with the arched roofs towards the very left.


A few that the giant sand dunes that have engulfed many things over the years..


We ventured down the coast past one of the lighthouses.



It was so cool to see how narrow this strip of land really is.







Soon after we landed I found myself OK with the idea of taking more plane rides like this in the future, even though just moments before, I was in the air, holding in my screams.  I forgot about that and just remembered how much I loved seeing this little beach town from above. The day ended with taking a trip to the favorite ice cream surf shop before heading home.




Labels: , , , ,